I received a troubling email the other day, which was most likely born out of something not working properly. It turned out that for some reason TotalEdit had stopped saving any changes to its properties leaving the user extremely annoyed. Quite understandably so too.
Whenever a change is made inside of TotalEdit the application waits until it is closed to save these edits to file. Depending on how you installed TotalEdit settings will be saved either under your user settings folder or in the same location where the application resides. If TotalEdit was installed under \Program Files then it will try to save all settings within your user settings folder. Anywhere else and it will try to save to the same folder where the TotalEdit executable is found.
Whatever folder is used TotalEdit must have write permissions to it. Specifically the user account, which TotalEdit runs under must be able to read and write to this folder. If it can not then the application will not report an error and it will appear that all setting changes are being ignored.
Admittedly with version 5.2.8 and earlier some settings were saved to the registry, which I have now fixed in the next version. Christmas is but a handful of weeks away and I had hoped to release TotalEdit v5.3 by now. I have tried to fulfil so many feature requests and can only blame myself for the delay.